2020 Swim Update
Hi Stingray Families.
Usually, on Memorial Day we are making our last minute plans as we try to launch our summer season successfully. Unfortunately at this time we still have many more questions than answers.
Our league met last week, and (you may have already heard) voted to cancel the official season and allow teams to offer what they can for their members. In the end, some pools aren't open yet, and don't know when (or if) they will. Cities aren't inspecting pools until Phase 2 of recovery, and we don't know when that will begin. The rules for pool capacity have not yet been published for Phase 2, so nobody knows how many swimmers will be allowed at a practice. Meets were going to be a significant challenge. In the end, our summer experience would have been so uncertain and restricted that it didn't seem worth it to try to have a traditional season.
We also voted to allow seniors who would have swum one last season to be allowed eligibility next summer if they wish.
Now that we have some flexibility, here is what I would like to offer:
Once Phase 2 begins AND we get direction on pool capacity AND ODAC gives us practice time (which may be different from last year) AND we have enough interest...so you can see there are still a lot of open questions...we hope to offer a series of 2 week swim clinics. Swimmers would sign up for 9 hours of training and 1 mini-meet.
At this point, I can't even tell you when we would begin, nor do I know what the price would be (since it will depend upon how many swimmers we can host at a time).
However, that is what we know today, and we still hope to be able to safely get your swimmers in the water at some point this summer.
2020 Summer Swimming
Hi Stingrays Families.
As you can imagine, during this time we still have many more questions than answers about swimming this summer. Here's what I do know:
VBLS (our swim league) is preparing to attempt to hold some sort of modified season.
We won't be able to begin that season until Phase 2 of the recovery plan--and we don't know exactly when we will enter that period. (Early estimates are mid-June.)
We are still discussing practice modifications with the league and with Honey Bee; there will certainly be new procedures in place to keep us all as safe as possible. This may affect our practice hours as well, as ODAC may require additional pool time at the facility.
We will also certainly have to modify meets; I would be surprised if we can have any spectators (except for volunteers). Remember, Phase 2 requires no groups of more than 50 people. The league is currently discussing how to manage meets under that guideline.
So for now, we still have a lot of uncertainty. You are certainly welcome to register online. We are not accepting any registration fees at this time, nor will we until we know for certain that we will have a season. It is good to know how many of you are interested in swimming--but if most of you are not wanting to take the risk, we won't try to force a team. (I think many of us are ready for some kind of activity.)
I will update you as I get more information, and hope you and your families continue to be in good health with steady work.
Indian Lakes Stingrays
Our team is a competitive summer swim team offering high quality
professional coaching and technique instruction for all ages and
abilities. The goal of our team is to provide every member an
opportunity to improve swimming skills and achieve success at his or her
level of ability, and provide the kids the opportunity to have some
We are a non profit club, run by our elected Board of Directors, which meets each month. All members are welcome at each meeting and encouraged to be involved in team activities and fundraisers.